Thursday, April 24, 2014

WIP: Kids Art Quilt: Turning Your Kids Paintings into Unique Fabric


Here is my 5 year old's first fabric line. We couldn't be more excited!!



The fabric is printed using Spoonflower.

Here is the original painting - all the fabrics are from this one painting. 


I scanned the painting and imported it into iPhoto. I changed the tint, contrast etc to make a pink & blue version of the painting. Then I uploaded the 3 different files to Spoonflower. 


You can see here how changing the repeat of the fabric and the design size can change the look of the fabric. 


The first thing I did when the fabric arrived was to wash it. It was a tad stiff from the printing process. I washed the fabric in a little synthrapol on a standard warm wash - I also added a little fabric softener. This certainly helped to soften the cotton quite a lot. I'm looking forward to sewing with it - but at the same time terrified of cutting into it!!

Spoonflower is really easy to use. I'm so excited by the potential of all the kids art projects being turned into wonderful unique fabrics. I still can't believe one painting made all these different fabrics.

 

4 comments:

hetty said...

Fantastic! I have to look into this.

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

Wish my kids were still little so I could do this with all those paintings I threw away. Gorgeous fabrics :D

Kathleen said...

What a great idea! I'd be hesitant to cut into it too. Just enjoy looking at it for a while.

Unknown said...

Thank you ladies - I'm very proud of her and I'm excited to share the quilt we are creating from the fabrics. It is definitely a project we will do again.